The legendary casino is located in the heart of the famous district of Monte-Carlo rich in hotels-restaurants and luxury shops, on a square consisting of gardens with fountains and palm trees. Prince Charles III and François Blanc, director of the Monaco Sea Bath Company, inaugurated it for the first time in 1865 before being rebuilt in 1878 by the architect Charles Garnier. The imposing Baroque-style building includes an atrium surrounded by 28 onyx columns, an Italian theater in the Salle Garnier and four games rooms adorned with bucolic paintings, tapestries, chandeliers, and gilding. It also has a terrace with panoramic views of the Mediterranean. You can play roulette, blackjack or even slot machines. The exterior and interior of the building, including the Salle Garnier, is a real miniature replica of the Paris Opera.
The Casino of Monte-Carlo has become the emblem of the city and one of the most famous playgrounds in the world.
In 1910, new buildings were added, including new games rooms but also a theater and an opera and ballet hall. This legendary building, backed by the sea, is not just a playroom. The decor is worthy of a palace. The atrium is a baroque masterpiece in marble and gold surrounded by onyx columns. The games rooms are decorated with stained glass and allegorical paintings. Beautiful gardens and a huge terrace from which we have an unforgettable panorama surround the casino, the look goes to the tip of Italy.
The architecture and the exceptional decoration should not make forget that the first function of the casino is the game. For the players of the whole world, the casino of Monte-Carlo is a reference. Everything is there, blackjack, poker, slot machines, roulette and bank two tables.
For the record, the casino served as a setting for two James Bond films, “Never, never again” and “Golden Eye”.
Monte Carlo is nothing without its Casino. Of course, the game is a vice but a very profitable vice! So under cover of a tourist stay, the game would not it become more acceptable? This is the brilliant idea of Prince Charles III and the Casino was born.
In 1863, the arrival of François Blanc, the administrator of the Society of Sea Baths accelerated the movement. He invited Charles Garnier -the architecture of the Paris Opera- to draw the plans for the Casino. An eclectic architect, Garnier mixed Renaissance, Baroque, and Byzantine. It left a rather amusing yellow facade with its two meringue turrets, its overflowing moldings, and its borrowed look. A luxurious and superficial setting, ideal for social events and the game, always relevant even if the clientele has changed. The bet of the prince and the financier was thus a success since the population of the city passed from 1500 to 23 000 souls in 50 years.
Linkedin: M. M.